Creating a Greeting Card Message for Someone in a New Job
A new job may itself be congratulations enough for some people. But writing a card for a person who has come into the good fortune of a new career path can turn an individual accomplishment into a shared experience. It’s always nice to be thought of, and a considerate message at this point in someone’s life can be equal parts personal and professional. The card that you write could be the crucial element in continuing a friendship, establishing a connection, or maintaining a professional relationship.
How to Create the Perfect Card - Examples
The specifics of each situation can vary from person to person and job to job, and so should the message you write. The purpose of this guide is to brainstorm and offer up some suggestions for whatever your circumstance might be!
Messages for a New Co-Worker
Your day-to-day life might not be changing that much, but when a new member joins your team or office, their world is shifting in a very fundamental way! A card with a thoughtful message can make them feel more comfortable, serve as a welcome introduction, and establish for them the kind of professional culture that they have joined.
- (Congratulations) “Congratulations on joining the team at X company! We’re glad to have you onboard.”
- (Congratulations) “Congratulations! I’m glad you’ve chosen us for the next stage in your professional life.”
- (Welcome) “Welcome to the team! I’m looking forward to getting to know you. Feel free to seek me out if you have any questions or simply need someone new to talk to!”
- (Welcome) “Welcome aboard! We’re glad to have you and are excited to see what you will contribute to our team.”
- (Best wishes) “I’ve had such a good experience working here for the past X years. I think you’ll find that it’s a good fit, and I hope you enjoy growing with us!”
- (Joining in) “I hope you’re as excited to be joining our company as we are to have you!”
- (First day) “It’s a pleasure to meet you. I’m excited to work alongside you!”
Messages for a Co-Worker Who is Leaving
It can be difficult to just feel happy for someone that is moving on from your world, but focusing on the positive is exactly what you should do. Using a greeting card to do this allows you to end this stage of your relationship on a positive note and serves as a hopeful sign of the continued professional connection that you hope to share.
- (Congratulatory) “Congratulations on your new job! They don’t know how lucky they are to get you. But we do!”
- (Farewell to a friend) “Thank you for being a good co-worker and an even better friend. You will be sorely missed, but we are glad you are moving on to bigger and better things.”
- (Farewell to a mentor) “Thank you for not only for everything that you have done here but everything that you have done for me. You have helped me and taught me so much.”
- (Farewell) “Well done! Thanks for everything that you have brought to our team. You will certainly leave some big shoes to fill!”
- (Best wishes) “Best wishes as you move on to your new job! Please keep me posted on your professional journey, as I’m sure we can expect great things from you.”
- (Good luck) “I’m so happy for you in finding a new job! I hope the transition is smooth and a happy one. With your skill set, I’m sure it will be.”
- (Good luck) “I hope that your time with us has prepared you well for the next adventure in your professional life. Best of luck as you start your new job!”
Messages for a Co-Worker Who is Being Promoted
Just because they’ll still be around in some capacity is no reason not to celebrate the accomplishment of a co-worker that is advancing internally. Odds are that they will wish to be professional and discreet about their accomplishment, so a thoughtful card is a good and tactful way to acknowledge how happy they must be.
- (Congratulations) “Congratulations on your promotion! You deserve every bit of success for everything you have done here.”
- (Congratulations) “Congrats! Don’t think that your new position means that we can stop being friends. I’m still here if you need to vent about work!”
- (Best wishes) “Best wishes as you start your new position. I wish you all the happiness and success that you deserve.”
- (Best wishes) “It’s no surprise that you’re moving forward here. I think we can expect to see even more forward progress from you in the future.”
- (Good luck) “Good job! I hope you are as excited for your new position as I am for you to have it. You’ve earned it!”
- (Job well done) “Well done on your promotion. It’s nice to see someone who is such a good co-worker and positive contributor rewarded for their effort.”
- (Farewell) “It’s been such a pleasure working with you. Best wishes as you begin your new role.”
Messages for a Friend or Loved One Who is Starting a New Job
Beginning a new job is exciting. But it is also daunting, nerve-wracking, and even a little sad if it means leaving something else behind. As a person outside of their professional world but still close to them, you can offer a lighthearted and considerate message in a way that many of their co-workers cannot!
- (Good luck) “Congratulations on your new job! You do so much for this family. I know you’ll bring just as much to your new career.”
- (Best Wishes) “Congrats! I’m so excited for you to find a new job, and I hope you feel like it’s the perfect fit for you.”
- (Celebratory) “Let’s celebrate! You deserve to do something special for your new job. Just let me know when, and I’m there.”
- (Funny) “They gave you a job?! All joking aside, I can’t think of anyone who deserves it more.”
- (Funny) “I’m glad to see that you’re finally doing something with your life. But really, I’m happy to see all your ambition and hard work pay off!”
- (Lighthearted) “Good luck at your new position. You don’t need it. But good luck all the same.”
- (Inspirational) “I’m so proud of you for all that you do. A new job can be as overwhelming as it exciting. But I have no doubt that you can handle it.”