There comes a time in most of our professional lives where our colleagues–particularly our bosses–may announce that they are leaving their position. They might be retiring, moving to another employer, or even taking a position in another department of your current company. Whatever the case may be, sending your soon-to-be ex-boss is a thoughtful way to wish them well and also keep a valuable professional contact. But what do you write inside of this card? We’ve gathered ideas for several different scenarios, so you’re sure to find the right thing to say. Just remember to create an honest, thoughtful message that lets your boss know how much their presence will be missed.
How to Create the Perfect Card - Examples
For the Boss Who is Retiring:
Short & Simple
- Congratulations on your retirement! You will be missed.
- Enjoy retirement, you’ve earned it.
- The company will miss you. Enjoy retirement.
- As you’re retiring from work, remember it’s time to have fun and relax.
- We will miss you, but enjoy your well-earned retirement.
- To one of the best the company has had. Congrats on retirement.
- Congrats on leaving the grind! Happy retirement.
- Even if you were the eldest, you had the youngest spirit. Congratulations on retirement.
- Have a wonderful retirement! Good wishes for your health, wealth, and well-being.
- The company will miss its MVP, but you should enjoy your hard work. Congratulations on retiring!
Long & Lasting
- It is always hard to lose such a wonderful, pivotal player in the company. Your presence will be sorely missed. Enjoy the toils of your labor and I hope you have a wonderful retirement. You will be missed.
- Sometimes it’s hard to find the proper ‘thank you’ for someone who has made such a difference in your life. You have helped me tremendously within the company and you will be very missed. Remember to enjoy retirement! Thank you for all you’ve done.
- Today we may be losing a great leader, but no one is as deserving of retirement as you. Thank you for all of the good days, the encouragement, and the leadership. We wish you the best on this next chapter of your life.
- You have been so important to the company, always bringing knowledge and years of experience to the table. Now those years mean a well-deserved break: congratulations on retiring! Thank you for all the hard work, we will miss you very much.
- As you clear out your things and say your final goodbyes, remember that we will miss our fearless leader. Congratulations on retirement and don’t forget to make the best of it. The company won’t be the same without you.
For the Boss Who is Transferring Departments:
Short & Simple
- Your new department is gaining a great leader. Congratulations.
- We will miss you here, but hopefully we’ll see each other in the break room.
- Congratulations on your transfer! We will miss you back here.
- Never forget where you came from! Congratulations on your transfer.
- Your leadership here will be missed. Your new team is very lucky.
- Farewell from this chapter, hello to the start of a new book at the company.
- Congrats on your move, we will miss you here. Don’t forget to stop by and say ‘hi’.
- It’s sad to see you go, but at least you’ll just be a department away. Congrats.
- Your leadership will be missed, but we are glad you are still with the company.
- Goodbye from your old team. Don’t forget us.
Long & Lasting
- When we found out you were leaving, we knew we were losing a great leader. Your new team is gaining a valuable player. Congratulations on your transfer, we will miss you back here! Well wishes on this next step in your career.
- Was this department not good enough for you? Just kidding! congratulations on your transfer, we will miss you around here. Hopefully your new position will bring your fulfillment and happiness. Don’t forget to stop by and say ‘hi’ sometimes.
- Congratulations on moving to a new department! I hope the change of scenery works out and you keep being a valuable asset to the company. We will miss you here in your old stomping grounds, but we know you will continue to be a great leader.
- You have been a vital part of this department for so long. Your knowledge and hard work will be hard to replace, but your new department is lucky to have you. We will miss you here. Thank you for all your hard work and congratulations.
- Not only were you a great boss, I have considered you to be a good friend. I will miss your influence in this department, but hopefully you can continue helping the company grow and thrive. Congratulations to a great boss and well wishes in your new department!
For the Boss Who is Leaving the Company:
Short & Simple
- We are sad to see you leave. Well wishes for the next chapter of your life.
- Farewell to a wonderful boss. The company is losing a great one.
- Your leadership has helped me succeed and it will be very missed. Thank you.
- Please accept my thanks and congratulations as you move on to your next chapter in life.
- Thank you for being a wonderful boss. We will miss working with you.
- The company will miss your leadership and all your hard work. Well wishes.
- I am grateful to have worked under your leadership, you will be very missed when you leave.
- You have been an amazing boss and it is sad to see you go, but congratulations during this time of change.
- Thank you for being such a great leader. You will be sorely missed.
- The team is losing a great leader today. I wish you well on your new pursuits.
Long & Lasting
- A great leader can be hard to find, but the company was lucky to find you. We are sad to see you leave. Whatever your next step may be, may you always be met with success and happiness. We will miss you very much here.
- Your support, hard work, expertise, and leadership will be hard to replace. The company and your team will miss you when you leave. Thank you for all of your hard work and for helping lead the team, well wishes on your new journey.
- Thank you for being a fantastic boss, but more than that: thank you for being a mentor, friend, and colleague. You have taught the team so much and we are sad to see you go, but know you will continue to succeed. Good luck.
- Best of luck on the new chapter of your career, you will be sorely missed here. The company has been lucky to have your leadership and our team would not have been so successful without you at the help. Good luck and well wishes.
- Thank you for your guidance. You have been so helpful, kind, and supportive as our boss. We will miss working with you and want you to know we have appreciated everything you have done for the team. Best of luck on your new journey and goodbye.